SIOUX FALLS, SD (KELO-AM) Snow is again on its way. The snowfall coupled with the cold temperatures can make daily commutes slower than normal. Please plan to leave early, and don’t overdrive the conditions. Snow removal crews will be working throughout the weather event to keep streets safe.
“On New Year’s Eve, drivers may be sharing the roads with plows,” says Galynn Huber, Street and Fleet Operations Manager. “Please be careful throughout your holiday celebrations.”
City of Sioux Falls officials would like to remind residents of property owners’ responsibilities regarding snow removal.
- Residents have 48 hours from the end of a weather event to remove snow and ice from sidewalks.
- Don’t forget about sidewalk curb ramps on corner lots and other curb cutouts. Residents are responsible for providing access from the street onto the sidewalk.
- Residents are required to keep fire hydrants clear of snow and other obstructions for 3 feet in all directions.
- While plows remove as much snow as possible near mailboxes, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure mailboxes are accessible to mail carriers.
- Do not place snow from the driveway or sidewalk onto the street if it has been plowed.
If you have questions regarding street snow removal, call the Public Works Street Division at 367-8255. For additional information about sidewalk snow removal or to report a violation, contact Property Maintenance at 978-6900.