With the recent heavy rains and saturated soils, the City recommends homeowners take the following measures to minimize water damage to homes:
- Make sure your sump pump is in good operational condition. Route the sump pump discharge hose as far away from the foundation as possible. (Reminder it is illegal to discharge a sump pump to the sanitary sewer.)
- Ensure the ground slopes away from your house.
- Make sure all window wells and basement windows are protected from water.
- Ensure all gutters are clear of debris and able to operate properly.
- Place extensions on downspouts to route water away from your foundation.
- Seal basement foundation cracks to prevent groundwater seepage.
If surface water is entering your home from the street or adjacent waterway, please contact the City Engineering Department at 605-367-8601 to report this issue. If the water is causing an immediate danger to you or others, please dial 911.