SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO-AM) — Volunteers with the American Red Cross have responded to three home fires in eastern South Dakota this morning.
In Sioux Falls, officials responded to a fire at about 4:00 a.m. at 504 South Bahnson Ave.. The Red Cross is assisting with lodging for three nights for 5 individuals including one 3 year-old and one 70 year-old.
In Milbank, around 7:45 a.m., a fire displaced 5 people. They have been assisted and received food, clothing and lodging.
Three people were also affected by a fire around 8:15 a.m. in Aberdeen. Volunteers are still responding to provide assistance.
During extremely cold weather, the risk for a fire in someone’s home can increase. To avoid fire danger, the American Red Cross says you should remember the following:
* Never use a stove or oven to heat the home.
* If using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
* If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
* Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.
* Don’t hook a generator up to the home’s wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment someone wants to power directly to the outlets on the generator.